This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start,
please contact the division at (866) 878-8900 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
This course is designed to meet the needs of entry-level fire and emergency service instructors. The course meets or exceeds the job performance requirements in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1041, Standard for Fire Service Instructor Professional Qualifications, Chapter 4. The target audience for this course includes the Department of Defense (DoD), Industrial Brigade, and/or Municipal personnel.
The Fire Instructor I course provides the tools necessary to obtain certification through the National Professional Qualifications System (Pro Board), the Texas Commission of Fire Protection (TCFP) and/or State Firemen's and Fire Marshals' Association (SFFMA). The course is formatted around classroom lectures, group activities, and individual presentations.
There are no prerequisites for this class
- Overview of instructor and student profiles
- Introduction to learning theories
- Use of instructional materials and media
- Maintaining student records and reports
- Techniques to communicate effectively
- Arranging the learning environment
- Overview of legal considerations of education
- Group activities and individual presentations
All emergency response personnel, including fire prevention, suppression, control and safety personnel.
You must bring a laptop or tablet with Microsoft Office (or compatible software).
Personal Protective Equipment
- This course requires Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Level 0 as described in the TEEX Student Safety Manual. All students are required to follow this manual at all times.
- You must wear:
- regular work attire for training activities and classroom sessions.
- You may not wear to any class or field activity:
- sleeveless shirts
- open-toed shoes
- You must present a photo I.D. before the written test.
- To receive ProBoard certification, you must successfully complete the required practical assessment and written ProBoard exam.
- To receive SFFMA, TCFP, or Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) certifications, you must successfully complete the course final exam to apply for those respective certification(s).
As a part of the course, you will be required to modify a lesson in PowerPoint format; therefore it is recommended that you have working knowledge of computers and a familiarity with Microsoft PowerPoint, as well as computer projection equipment.
Government Programs, Certifications and Accreditations
Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Texas Commission of Fire Protection (TCFP)
State Firemen’s and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
NOTE: Some Instructor I course offerings are for specific target audiences and may only provide one certification, such as the DoD with Pro Board and Municipal with TCFP or SFFMA. Be sure to register for the correct class to ensure the required credential is offered.
Annual Fire Training School
If you are attending this course as part of TEEX's Annual Fire School taught each July, you need to be aware of the following additional information.
- Annual Schools require that you use the registration form available at http://www.teex.org/annualschools. You can register online with a credit card, print the registration form and mail it with a check, or fax with an approved Purchase Order.
- A late fee of $50.00 will be assessed to payments made after the registration deadline for the Annual Fire Training School.
- Class Limit: 25 students
- Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Mon - Thurs: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. - until finished with testing.
If you have any questions about Annual Schools, call (866) 878-8900.