This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start,
please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
Peace Officers play a vital role in ensuring the safety and security of the public. The Central Texas Police Academy (CTPA) delivers a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) approved Basic Peace Officer course leading to Texas Peace Officer licensing. Participants receive classroom training designed to prepare each student for the state licensing examination and engage in hands-on training to better acquaint them to the rigors of police work.
This course is 35 weeks in duration and meets Monday - Thursday 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. and every other Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
This course meets TCOLE requirements Basic Peace Officer Course #1000.
There are no prerequisites for this class
- Arrest procedures
- Crime scene investigation
- Criminal investigations
- Emergency vehicle operation
- Firearms training
- Patrol tactics
- Physical fitness training
- Report writing
- Self-defense techniques
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Traffic enforcement and investigations
- Texas Penal Code
- Anyone who is interested in becoming a Texas peace officer
- Must be at least 21 years of age before the class end date
- Must meet TCOLE minimum standards for licensing
- Must submit the following completed documents 30 days prior to class start date:
- Notebook paper (8 ½” x 11”) and notebook dividers (minimum 33)
- Blue or black ink pens, red ink pen, highlighters, #2 pencils
- Duty belt
- Handgun and secure holster- thumb-break style
- Minimum of two speed loaders or three magazines
- Handcuffs and key (Smith & Wesson, Peerless, Hiatts, etc.) and handcuff case
- Speed loader pouch or double magazine pouch
- Straight flashlight (Mag-lite, Surefire, Stream Light, etc.) and flashlight holder
- Belt keepers (minimum of four)
- Black shoes or boots that can be polished
- Athletic gear consisting of
- navy-colored shorts or sweats
- athletic shoes and towel must be brought the first day of class and each day thereafter
- White t-shirt will be worn for PT prior to academy t-shirts being worn.
- The required pants for the uniform are Dickies brand #874 Khaki pants. They are available from Wal-Mart and other common vendors for less than $20.00/pair. It is recommended that the student purchase at least three pair.
- Small dictionary, law dictionary
- Gear bag
Government Programs, Certifications and Accreditations
728.00 Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433 | Fax: (979) 862-2788
Bryan/College Station Texas Training Facilities