This online course focuses on training responders to meet the requirements established in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 (2017 ed.),“Competencies for Awareness Level Personnel,”(chapter 4) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 29 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q) (6) (i) (a-f) “First Responder Awareness Level” competencies.
This course encompasses an all-hazards approach to Hazardous Materials (HazMat) incidents, including acts of terrorism where Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) materials may have been used. It provides participants the knowledge to recognize the hazardous material, protect themselves, notify others, and secure the scene.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
In order to complete this course, you must have
- internet connection (broadband connection recommended)
- current web browser (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari, etc.) To prevent issues during your online class be sure that your web browser is updated to the latest version available.
- current versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash.
- This course cannot be done on a mobile phone
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, it is highly recommended that participants complete:
TopicsPrevention and Deterrence+Identification of Hazardous Material and the Emergency Response Guide (ERG)+Chemical Agents+Biological Agents+Radiological Materials and Nuclear Weapons+Explosive Devices
- Fire department responders
- Law enforcement officials
- Public works
- County/State/Federal responders
- Emergency medical services
- Public health and health care workers
- Private sector
Continuing Education and Professional Credits0.8 CEUs
Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
As part of a Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency (DHS/FEMA) cooperative agreement training program, this course is available at no direct cost to state, county, and local government agencies.
At the completion of this course, you will be required to pass a comprehensive final exam in order to print a certificate of completion.
Government ProgramsFor DHS/FEMA Funded Courses, please contact email@example.com or call (866) 878-8900