The Introduction to Hot Stick Operations course provides participants instruction in the maintenance of transmission and distribution circuits using live-line tools and associated equipment. At the completion of the course, participants will have the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to properly select and use hot line tools to perform work on both distribution and transmission systems.
Evidence of successful completion of the Wood Pole Climbing Techniques course or equivalent training verified by the employer.
Course Completion Requirements
- Complete the Student Qualification Form located in the resources section.
- Evidence of successful completion of the Wood Pole Climbing Techniques course or equivalent training verified by the employer.
- In order to fully participate in all field work exercises, students will need the following equipment: lineman climbing boots, hard hat, rubber gloves, eye protection, leather gloves, climbing tools, hand tools, and long-sleeve shirts.
Once all proper documentation has been collected and/or completed it may be faxed to TEEX Customer Care at (979) 458-1426. If additional information is required, contact TEEX Customer Care personnel at (800) 723-3811.
All verifications and associated documentation must be completed a minimum of 14 business days prior to the start of class.
TopicsCrossarm replacement - distribution +Dead end bell replacement - distribution +Identification and use of live line tools +Insulator replacement - distribution +Recognition, inspection and use of protective cover-up+Selection and use of proper live line tools and equipment for energized system maintenance +Proper care, cleaning and storage of live line tools+Dead end insulator change on transmission structure Insulator change Tangent structure – transmission+Insulator change on H-frame structure-transmission+Safety procedures to perform live line maintenance jobs on wooden structures
- Apprentice line workers
- Journey line workers
- Crew leaders
- Electric utilities professionals
- Construction professionals
- Industry professionals with pole climbing requirements
Continuing Education & Professional Credits