The Meter Reader and Installation Safety course provides participants with information covering various hazards linked with the installation and removal of self-contained electrical service meters. During training, participants receive hands-on opportunities using TEEX Meter Installation Simulator props to diagnose various malfunctions. During these exercises, students are guided through proper safety processes and required electrical testing associated with a self-contained meter socket assembly and also provided an overview of principles of electricity specific to electrical service metering.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
In order to fully participate in all field work exercises, students will need the following equipment; rubber gloves (Class 0), hard hat, and safety glasses.
- Participants should have operational knowledge of basic principles of electricity and related concepts.
- If specific test meters are desired for use during training, participants are encouraged to bring their own to become more familiar with all functioning and related use requirements.
TopicsElectrical principles +Inspecting and testing self-contained meter installation +Inspection and use of electrical test meters +Safety related to meter installations +Service installation practices
- Electric utilities professionals
- Meter installation personnel
- Electrical sales personnel
- Construction professionals
- Electric utility personnel responsible for reading and installing new service meters or reconnections
OSHA Training Institute Education Center
Phone: (800) 723-3811 | Tollfree: (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811