Proper crime scene investigation, evidence collection, and documentation are key components to any criminal investigation. This course provides participants with information, techniques, and methods for conducting investigations ranging from general crime scene investigations to death investigations. Course instruction is through lecture and case review with emphasis on practical application.
This course, which meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Intermediate Crime Scene Course #2106, is for Blinn College students participating in the
Collegiate Technical Investigation Skills Program (CTISP) of TEEX's Texas Forensic
- Participant must apply to and be admitted into CTISP of the TEEX Texas Forensic Science Academy
- Participant must apply to and be admitted into Blinn College
- Successfully pass a background check
- Participant must be at least 18 years of age before the CTISP end date
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. To receive course and TCOLE credit, participants must attend the class in its entirety.
Student May Bring
- Digital SLR camera
- External flash
- Camera cable release
- Instruction manuals (camera and flash)
- Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing for classroom and field exercises
- Closed toe shoes
TopicsCrime scene searches and legality+Phases of crime scene investigation+Crime scene documentation: photography and sketching+Identification, collection and preservation of evidence+DNA evidence+Electronic evidence+Collection, classification and identification of fingerprints+Fingerprint processing+Investigative techniques for specific crime scene areas+Crime scene simulation
Collegiate students seeking technical training to prepare them for employment requiring investigative skills such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators, patrol officers and forensic nurses.
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)+ACE+International Association of Identification (IAI)+Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- Course enrollment for CTISP is through Blinn College. Please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or Robert.Stanberry@blinn.edu