This online course prepares participants for their transition from a traditional patrol/traffic function to an investigative position, such as a detective. The Basic Criminal Investigation course is also appropriate for those agencies that require officers to perform both patrol and investigative functions. From the initial response to case prosecution, officers will learn how to manage a wide variety of common criminal investigations. Emphasis is placed on preparation of affidavits, procurement and execution of search and arrest warrants, interview and interrogation procedures, and rules governing the collection and preservation of evidence. Additionally, participants will learn case preparation techniques and unique aspects of special topic investigations, such as narcotics, property crimes, and crimes against persons.
This course, which meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Basic Criminal Investigation Course #40051, is for Blinn College students participating in the Collegiate Technical Investigation Skills Program (CTISP) of TEEX's Texas Forensic Science Academy.
- Participant must apply to and be admitted into CTISP of the TEEX Texas Forensic Science Academy
- Participant must apply to and be admitted into Blinn College
- Successfully pass a background check
- Participant must be at least 18 years of age before the CTISP end date
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 90 days from the registration date.
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course, you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
- Broadband Internet Connection Using Current Browser - Microsoft Edge is not a supported browser
Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review
each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities,
quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
TopicsCrime scene investigation+Developing investigative leads+Subpoenas, warrants and search warrants+Case preparation+Procedures for investigating specific crimes
Collegiate students seeking technical training to prepare them for employment requiring investigative skills such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators, patrol officers and forensic nurses.
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)+ACE+Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET)+Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- Course enrollment for CTISP is through Blinn College. Please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or Robert.Stanberry@blinn.edu