This course is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required for certification to Plans Examiner I as described in Chapter 7, “Plan Examiner I” of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner (2014 edition). The course covers the basics of plans administration and plans review.
Participants who successfully complete the course and pass the required certification and skills test will receive a National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board) national certification. The course can also be used for Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) certification.
Students must successfully complete 132+ hour Inspector I and II: Sessions 1 & 2 and the 40 hour Plan Examiner to be eligible to take the TCFP Exam for Inspector.
Course Completion Requirements
All students are required to bring to class:
- 1st Edition of the Plans Examiner for Fire & Emergency Services manual
- NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, 2015 edition
- Architects and Engineers Scales
- Basic Calculator
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- PPE Level 1 as described in the TEEX Student Safety Manual. All students are required to follow this manual at all times.
- Wear regular station duty wear for fire field activities
- Wear office attire for classroom sessions
- You may not wear to any class or field activity:
- sleeveless shirts
- open-toed shoes
TopicsRole of the Plans Examiner+Plans Review Process+Codes and Standards+Plan Sets+Site, Plot, Utility & Landscape Plans+Architectural Plans+Structural Plans+Mechanical Plans+Electrical Plans+Fire Protection System Plans+Other Fire Protection Related Plans Reviews+Alternative Design Methods+Renovations & Tenant Improvements
For personnel in
- Department of Defense (DoD) Fire Departments
- Career Fire Departments
- Combination Fire Departments
- Volunteer Fire Departments
- building inspectors
- general contractors
- other disciplines who desire to become a certified Plans Examiner I.
Continuing Education & Professional Credits
A late fee of $50.00 will be assessed to registrations made after the deadline for the Annual Fire Training School.
Class Limit: 30 Students.
- Class Hours:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - noon
This course requires PPE Level 1 as described in the TEEX Student Safety Manual. All students are required to follow this manual at all times.
You must wear regular work attire for training activities and classroom sessions.
You may not wear shorts, sleeveless shirts, or open-toed shoes to any class or field activity.