The science of bloodstain pattern analysis can assist investigators in making determinations, such as, relative positions of the victim or suspect, the nature of the force and weapon used, and the approximate number of blows struck during an assault. This course is designed for those who investigate crime scenes containing blood evidence, such as assaults and death investigation, as well as those who process bloodstained evidentiary items. Participants will learn the basic knowledge of bloodstain pattern analysis, including methods and skills for the scientific interpretation of bloodstain evidence at crime scenes and on evidentiary items. Course instruction is through lecture and case review with emphasis on experiments and practical application.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Bloodstain Pattern Analysis Course #40057.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- Must be licensed or certified peace officers with a current commission or non-commissioned personnel assigned to investigate/process crime scenes
- Scientific calculator
- Clear plastic 12-inch ruler scaled in tenth and metric gradations
- Mechanical pencil
- Participants will be required to conduct field exercises throughout the week and should dress appropriately for both indoor and outdoor activities
- Camera for documentation of created exemplars
- Fingerprint glass or magnifying glass
TopicsBiological hazards in crime scenes +Bloodstain pattern analysis and courtroom testimony +Chemical processing of crime scenes +Determining area of convergence of bloodstains +Determining area of origin of bloodstains +Determining the angle of impact of bloodstains +Documenting crime scenes +History of bloodstain pattern analysis +Identification and analysis of bloodstain patterns +Measuring bloodstains +Utilizing bloodstain pattern analysis at crime scenes
- Law enforcement investigators and non-commissioned personnel assigned to crime scene investigation and reconstruction
Continuing Education & Professional Credits
Law Enforcement and Security Training
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Tollfree: (800) 423-8433
- If paying by purchase order or check, please fill out the required registration form and send to email@example.com or fax to (979) 862-2788.
- Students will use bovine blood during class activities