This online course prepares participants for their transition from a traditional patrol/traffic function to an investigative position, such as a detective. The Basic Criminal Investigation course is also appropriate for those agencies that require officers to perform both patrol and investigative functions. From the initial response to case prosecution, officers will learn how to manage a wide variety of common criminal investigations. Emphasis is placed on preparation of affidavits, procurement and execution of search and arrest warrants, interview and interrogation procedures, and rules governing the collection and preservation of evidence. Additionally, participants will learn case preparation techniques and unique aspects of special topic investigations, such as narcotics, property crimes, and crimes against persons.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Basic Criminal Investigation Course #40051.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 90 days from the registration date. Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
- Broadband internet connection
- Current browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
TopicsCrime scene investigation +Developing investigative leads+Subpoenas, warrants, and search warrants+Case preparation+Procedures for investigative specific crimes
- Patrol officers, special agents, newly assigned investigators/detectives and crime scene investigation personnel
Law Enforcement and Security Training
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Tollfree: (800) 423-8433
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- If paying by purchase order or check, please fill out the required registration form and send to email@example.com or fax to (979) 862-2788.
- Refunds are not available for eLearning courses, nor may the course be transferred from one customer to another.