Identification of suspects through fingerprint comparison is critical for many investigators. This online course teaches participants the fundamental principles of fingerprint comparison while guiding them through the ACE-V Methodology (Analysis, Comparison, Evaluation, and Verification). Participants will be provided with the history and science of fingerprint analysis and comparison while simulating the role of an expert witness in court. In the final project, emphasis is placed on completing basic fingerprint comparison while acting in the traditional role of latent print examiner and validation latent print examiner for a case.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements for TFSA Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison course #40063.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration date. Participants will have one attempt to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
- Broadband internet connection
- Current browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Apple Quicktime Player 10 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
TopicsHistory and science of fingerprint analysis and comparison+Patterns and minutiae+Value of prints for comparison+Evaluating prints for a match+Verification determinations for a case file+Consequences of wrongful comparisons
- Law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel
Continuing Education & Professional Credits
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org.