This course meets or exceeds the qualifications for National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 472 Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents Chapters 12, 13, and 14 which train specialists to respond to tank car, cargo tank, and intermodal tank incidents.
Upon completion of this course students are eligible to take the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board) written exam and skills testing.
Pro Board Certification Requirements
Participants pursing Pro Board certification must provide proof of NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Technician dated prior to the last day of class. The documentation must meet the certification office requirements.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For field exercise, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
- Participants are required to participate in hands-on activities utilizing Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and therefore must be clean shaven while attending class. Facial hair must not be present where the SCBA mask seal contacts the skin. Mustaches and normal sideburns are permitted.
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve / long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts).
Pro Board Certification Testing
Participants are required to provide a photo ID at time of Pro Board testing.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend 100% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion and to sit for the Pro Board certification exam.
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, participants should secure a professional evaluation of their physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
Recommended Prior Knowledge
It is recommended that participants have prior Hazardous Materials Technician level training.
TopicsDamage Assessment+Transfer Techniques+Leak Containment+Flaring+Fitting Repair+Safety+Cargo Tank Construction+Intermodal Tank Construction+Tank Car Construction
Suggested AudienceTechnician-level personnel expected to respond to incidents and provide technical support, oversight for product removal, and moving of damaged tank cars, cargo tanks, and intermodal tanks and act as a liaison between outside resources and technicians.
Continuing Education and Professional Credits5 CEUs
For responders in the state of Texas, this course is also available at no cost through the Texas Division of Emergency Management.
Annual Fire Training School Information
If you are attending this course as part of TEEX's Texas Annual Fire Training School taught each March and July, you need to be aware of the following additional information.
Annual Fire Training School Registration Requirements
Annual Schools require that you use the online registration system. If you are using a Purchase Order please place the number in the PO field for payment. Please know we must have a copy of the PO or voucher within 48 hours of your registration or you will be canceled out of the class.
Annual Fire Training School Late Registration
The full rate will be applied after the early-bird registration deadline.
American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Identified
Testing Policy - American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Identified Disabilities
Annual Fire Training School Contact Information
If you have any questions about Annual Schools, call (866) 878-8900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. - noon
Government ProgramsPost 9/11 GI Bill Benefits® For information contact Veteranservices@teex.tamu.edu or call (877) 833-9638