This course is designed to meet the needs of the intermediate-level fire instructor. The course meets or exceeds the job performance requirements in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1041, Standard for Fire Service Instructor Professional Qualifications, Chapter 5. The Fire Instructor II course is designed around classroom lectures and exercises.
This course provides the tools necessary to obtain certification through the National Professional Qualifications System (Pro Board), the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) and/or State Firemen's and Fire Marshals' Association (SFFMA).
There are no prerequisites to attend this course.
For Pro Board Certification Only
You are required to provide documentation of prerequisites for Fire Instructor I (NFPA 1041). The documentation you provide as proof of prerequisite must meet certain requirements.
Course Completion Requirements
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- This course requires PPE Level 0 as described in the TEEX Student Safety Manual.
- All students are required to follow this manual at all times.
- You must wear:
- regular work attire for training activities and classroom sessions.
- You may not wear to any class or field activity:
- sleeveless shirts
- open-toed shoes
- You must bring a laptop computer to class to complete required projects.
- You must provide proof of NFPA 1041 Instructor I certification prior to the start of the class, and you must meet the requirements of our certification office.
- You must present a photo I.D. before the written test.
- To receive Pro Board certification, you must successfully complete the required practical assessment and written Pro Board exam. To receive SFFMA, TCFP, or Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) certifications, you must successfully complete the course final exam to apply for those respective certification(s).
As a part of the course, you will be required to modify a lesson in Microsoft PowerPoint format; therefore it is recommended that you have working knowledge of computers and computer projection equipment as well as familiarity with MS PowerPoint.
You must bring a laptop with MS PowerPoint (or compatible software) and a thumb drive. If unable to do so please contact Robert Barron, firstname.lastname@example.org
TopicsManaging Instructional resources+Preparing lesson plans for specialized and advanced courses+Developing evaluation instruments+Developing topic specific instructional materials+Teaching methods and techniques
All emergency response personnel, including fire prevention, suppression, and control personnel.
All safety personnel, including Department of Defense (DoD), Industrial Brigade, and/or Municipal personnel.
Continuing Education & Professional Credits
NOTE: Some Instructor II course offerings are for specific target audiences and may only provide one certification such as the DoD with Pro Board and Municipal with TCFP or SFFMA. Be sure to register for the correct class to ensure the required credential is offered.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be awarded 4.0 Continuing Education Units (CEU) certified through the International Association for Continuing Education & Training. This course is recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) for 3 college semester hours.
Please call 979-845-0518 for Out-of-State tuition cost.
Annual Fire Training School
If you are attending this course as part of TEEX's Texas Annual Fire Training School taught in March and July, you need to be aware of the following additional information.
- A late fee of $50.00 will be assessed to payments made after the registration deadline for the Texas Annual Fire Training School.
- Class Limit: 20 students
Industrial Class Hours:
- Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. until testing finished
Spring and Municipal Class Hours:
- Sunday: 2:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. until testing finished