Course Price: $250
After this blended-learning course, participants will begin a new career path using the knowledge and skills necessary to operate effectively within a county jail environment. This course is designed to meet training and licensing requirements set by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) necessary to prepare participants to receive their TCOLE Basic Jailer License.
This online course consists of eleven learning modules. Prior to accessing the course, the participant is provided with an opportunity to download a study guide in an effort to enhance the retention of important course information. After all modules have been completed, the participant will receive a comprehensive final exam. All examinations must be passed with a minimum score of 80%. Participants have three attempts to pass each module exam and one attempt to pass the final examination.
Participants will be eligible to sit for the TCOLE Basic Jailer Licensing Examination at a TCOLE approved testing site upon successful completion of the online course. Participants are also required to complete the 24 hour Basic County Corrections (BCC) Physical Skills course in order to meet all requirements to receive a Basic Jailer License. A list and location of those scheduled courses available in your area will be provided upon successful completion of the online portion of the BCC course.
This course meets TCOLE requirements for Basic County Corrections Course #1196.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- Broadband internet connection
- Current browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 8 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
TopicsState regulatory agencies and facility concepts+Ethics, prejudice, and human relations+Intake procedures+Inmate health care+Inmate supplies+Inmate and facility security protocols+Inmate rights, activities, and discipline+Use of force+Disturbances and emergencies+Mental health and de-escalation techniques+Documentation and courtroom appearance+Release procedures
- Candidates for Texas county jail staffing responsible for oversight and control of inmates in a jail or holding cell facility
Continuing Education & Professional Credits8 CEUs
Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- If a student has a preexisting injury/condition that could be aggravated by a specific technique or the act of training in the physical skills portion of the Basic County Corrections course, the instructor should be advised and a doctor's release must be presented to the instructor before the physical skills training begins.
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once a student has successfully passed this course they must also complete Texas Commission on Law Enforcement's (TCOLE) new "TCOLE Rules Overview (for jailers and telecommunicators)" course and pass the rules exam prior to taking the licensing exam for a Jailers license. This course is located on the MyTCOLE Learning Website. The student can access the website from the TCOLE homepage.