The goal of all police work is to protect the lives, property, safety, and well-being of the public. Traffic law enforcement is no exception. Research shows that excessive speed is a major contributing factor to motor vehicle crashes. Further, excessive speed increases the severity of the crashes that do occur.
RADAR is an important and effective means of accurately establishing vehicle speed. In recent decades, RADAR technology has been advanced significantly. Its cost-effectiveness has continued to improve as well. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) believes that police traffic RADAR is an effective enforcement tool. Police traffic RADAR provides a means of increasing enforcement effectiveness and permits police administrators to make better use of scarce personnel and costly fuel.
The overall goal of this course is to improve the effectiveness of speed enforcement through the proper and efficient use of police traffic RADAR speed measurement instruments. Every officer who successfully completed this course will become a better instructor and enforcer of the traffic laws governing vehicle speed.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements RADAR Course #2054.
Please fax documents to (979) 862-2788 or send an email to email@example.com two weeks prior to class start date.
Course Completion Requirements
- RADAR/LIDAR device(s) issued by sponsoring agency
- RADAR/LIDAR operator manual for device(s) issued by sponsoring agency
- Oscillating tuning forks
- Department issued patrol vehicle
- Background in the operation of Doppler RADAR as it applies to speed enforcement
- Familiarity with set up, testing and operation of all RADAR instruments in which training is to be provided
- Familiarity with State and local laws, court rulings, regulations, policies and procedures affecting speed enforcement and RADAR speed measurement
- Background in conducting training for a police environment
TopicsSpeed and Traffic Safety+Basic Principles of RADAR Speed Management+Principles of LIDAR Speed Management+Legal and Operational Considerations+Field Testing of RADAR/LIDAR+Policy Creation & Debriefing+Moot Court
Police officers, city, county, state, federal, military, and provost marshals who know how to use Doppler RADAR/LIDAR, and have some background in delivering instruction for training purposes.
Continuing Education and Professional Credits4 CEUs
Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)