Nearly one in ten prisoners report having been raped or sexually assaulted by other inmates, staff, or both. The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) of 2003 is a federal law established to address the prevention of sexual abuse in confinement. PREA applies to the Department of Justice, State, and local confinement facilities, including adult prisons and jails, juvenile facilities, police lockups, and community corrections facilities. This course provides an overview of the PREA standards and discusses ways to implement the standards at all levels of the confinement agency. The practices learned in this course may be superseded by your agency departmental policy.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Course #3507.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration date.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
- Broadband internet connection
- Current browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants
must review each module and complete all required course assignments,
activities, quizzes, and or end of course exam.
TopicsOverview of the Prison Rape Elimination Act+Prison Rape Elimination Act at the agency level+Prison Rape Elimination Act at the supervisory level+Prison Rape Elimination Act at the line officer level
- Agencies responsible for adult correctional facilities (specifically prisons and jails)
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org