The Disaster Management for Electric Power Systems course provides students with information specific to preparing for, protecting against, responding to, recovering from, and mitigating against a threatened or actual natural disaster, an act of terrorism, or other man-made disaster affecting electric power facilities and systems.
During this course, participants will be guided through discussions and exercise that will assist them in:
- Improving security against physical damage, organizational disruption, and control system vulnerability
- Enhancing the electric power systems ability to plan, prevent, detect, respond, and restore their facilities in emergency situations
- Developing an understanding and appreciation for working with the media.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
FEMA Student ID Requirement
Prior to course delivery, the hosting jurisdiction for the class shall inform all participants of the FEMA requirement to establish a FEMA Student Identification Number (SID). This can be accomplished by registering at FEMA’s website. Participants will be asked to provide their SID when they arrive and complete the registration process for the course.
It is recommended the participant complete IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, and IS-800. These courses can be found online at: http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp.
TopicsThreats to electric power facilities and systems+Responding to disasters+Recovering from disasters+Handling public information requests+Preparing for disasters
- Investor Owned Utilities (IOU) personnel
- Rural Electrification Administration (REA)
- Rural Utilities Services (RUS) personnel
- Municipal personnel
- Industrial operators
- Electrical Power Transmission and Distribution Suppliers (T&D) personnel, to include utility commission personnel, management, supervisors, and foremen
- Utility industry disaster coordinators, security personnel, and field personnel
- Fire industry professionals
- Law enforcement professionals
- EMS personnel
Government Programs, Certifications and AccreditationsFor DHS/FEMA Funded Courses, please contact (800) 723-3811+GSA contract number: GS-07F-0357V. GSA customers, to register please contact contact email@example.com or call (800) 723-3811
Infrastructure Training & Safety Institute
OSHA Training Institute Education Center
Phone: | Tollfree: (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811
Registration for each course will be processed by the host city.