The Excavation, Trenching, and Soil Mechanics (OSHA #3015) course covers the OSHA Excavation Standard and safety and health aspects of excavation and trenching. Course topics include practical soil mechanics and its relationship to the stability of shored and unshored slopes and walls of excavations, introduction of various types of shoring (wood timbers and hydraulic), soil classification, and use of protective systems. Testing methods are demonstrated and students participate in workshops in the use of instruments such as penetrometers, torvane shears, and engineering rods. Upon course completion students will have the ability to assess their employer's compliance with the OSHA Excavation Standard, utilize soil testing methods to classify soil types, determine protective systems for excavation operations, and training requirements.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
TEEX and the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) have an attendance policy that requires all students to fully attend enrolled classes. In order for the student to receive a certificate of completion, they must attend the entire class. We realize that extenuating circumstances may arise that would take a student out of class and have implemented the following policy to handle those situations. Below are the responsibilities and expectations of students in a TEEX course.
- Participants are expected to attend 100% of the course in which they are enrolled before a certificate of successful completion can be issued.
- If an extenuating circumstance arises in which a participant is unable to attend 100% of class, the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form prior to their leaving the classroom. If the extenuating circumstance arises during non-class hours, then the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form when they return to the class. If the participant is unable to return to class, they must still contact the instructor for the required processing.
- If the instructor approves an absence and the absence time is less than 20% of the class time, the instructor can assign makeup work for equivalent time missed.
- All assigned makeup work must be documented, checked by the instructor and returned with class materials to be maintained in the class record as required by OSHA and TEEX.
- For all other approved absences, participants must enroll through TEEX Registration to retake the course within the OSHA required six-month time frame.
- Unexcused absences require participants to register/pay/attend the class again at another time.
TopicsTypes of shoring+OSHA standards on excavation and trenching+Soil mechanics+Testing methods
- Construction industry professionals
- Utility industry professionals
- Building management personnel
- Maintenance personnel
- Municipal services personnel
- Heavy equipment operators
- Safety Industry Supervisors
- Safety & Health professionals
Government Programs, Certifications and AccreditationsGSA contract number: GS-02F-0003P. GSA customers, to register please contact email@example.com or call (800) 723-3811+Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits For information contact (877) 833-9638
Continuing Education & Professional Credits