COLLEGE STATION – With Tropical Storm Alex presenting an increasing potential threat to South Texas, the Governor of Texas has authorized Texas Task Force 1 (TX-TF1) to activate and plan for deployment ahead of the storm. The National Hurricane Tracking Center predicts Alex will continue to intensify to hurricane strength while continuing to shift to the north with increasing potential to impact citizens in the Rio Grande Valley and South Texas.
TX-TF1 will stage at its headquarters in College Station this evening (6/28/10) and begin preparations to deploy to strategic locations, which the state will determine according to the forecasted track of the storm.
The following search and rescue assets are being deployed:
- TX-TF1 Type-I urban search and rescue team
- TX-TF1 Type-III urban search and rescue team
- TX-TF2 (Dallas-based) Type-III urban search and rescue team with two water rescue teams
- Nine TX-TF1 water rescue teams
- Eight TX-TF1 helicopter rescue specialists to work aboard Texas Military Forces UH-60’s
- Texas ESF-9 Search and Rescue Overhead Team
- Numerous liaisons to assist at the State Operations Center in Austin and Disaster Districts and counties along the South Texas coastPhoto/Interview Opportunity for Media:
Media wishing to cover the TX-TF1’s arrival in College Station today should contact: