ARF900 – 8.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1851 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Officer course combines interactive classroom sessions and demonstrations with hands-on evolutions to provide insight on the proper selection, maintenance, and tracking of firefighter personal protective ensembles. This course details how to properly inspect and track PPE, as well as the hazards of the gear itself due to improper cleaning and care. You will learn how to develop policies and procedures for establishing a department-wide tracking program for PPE.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
You must have basic knowledge of fire service PPE prior to participating in the hands-on training for this course.
- PPE Level 0 as described in the ESTI Student Safety Manual.
- All participants are required to follow the ESTI Student Safety Manual at all times.
- Regular station duty wear for fire field activities
- Office attire for classroom sessions.
- You may not wear to any class or field activity
- sleeveless shirts
- open-toed shoes
Participants Must Provide
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed
We recommend that you complete the online training provided by your department’s PPE manufacturer.
Upon successful completion, you will be able to:
- Construction of the protective ensemble
- Manufacturer’s recommended guidelines
- Proper PPE selection
- Components of the PPE construction process
- How the hazards of firefighting affect PPE
- How to establish a PPE-tracking program
- PPE-legal aspects
- Inspection of the protective ensemble
- How to spot damage to PPE
- Proper cleaning using the right extractor
- How to test for damage to the protective ensemble
This course is designed for individuals who are responsible for selecting, maintaining, and tracking fire service PPE for their individual departments.
- Registration for this course must be done 30 days before class.
- Classes are subject to cancellation 14 days before class if participant participation is low. The participant will have the option to attend the next scheduled class.
- If registering with a purchase order, please use our Registration Form and fax it to (979) 458-0506.
Schedule ARFF Training at Your Facility
Contact Tim Sullivan.