EPP235 – 24.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Infrastructure Training & Safety Institute
OSHA Training Institute Education Center at (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
ThreePhase Transformer course provides participants advanced training covering the application, operation, and connections of substation power transformers, single and three-phase overhead, and underground transformers needed to supply power to customers at various voltage ranges. During training, students receive information specific to the proper operation, capabilities, and requirements of transformers in various configurations. Emphasis is placed on the proper selection and connection of transformers used to supply the load, required voltage, and capacity necessary to meet customer demands. A heavy focus is placed on hands-on field exercises utilizing the TEEX Electric Power field. During these exercises participants are given various load scenarios along with customer requirements and must determine the proper connection needed to supply the load applying the proper overcurrent and overvoltage protection. Once completed, students are then asked to properly connect the transformers using a transformer trainer and measure values to include verifying correct phase rotation. Discussions surrounding various troubleshooting techniques, best practices, and other related issues specific to banks will help participants develop skills necessary to help minimize customer down time.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
- hard hat
- rubber gloves (Class 0)
- safety glasses
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Operational knowledge of Electric Power Principles and Single-Phase Transformers.
- A practical knowledge and understanding of electrical power utility systems and related concepts.
- Electric Principles
- Transformer Operations
- Types of Transformers
- Transformer Protection
- Three-Phase Transformer Connection
- Industry professionals responsible for installation, connection, and troubleshooting of overhead and underground three-phase transformer installations
- Cable professionals
- Telecommunications professionals
- Construction professionals