HEP913 – 8.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, this course can be scheduled to meet your specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Infrastructure Training & Safety Institute
OSHA Training Institute Education Center at (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
The Excavator Heavy Equipment Proficiency Evaluation provides industry professionals and employers with the ability to properly document operator skill levels. During the evaluation process, TEEX Heavy Equipment Program personnel provide an overview of all equipment use expectations and those criteria to be used during the formal check of skill level and proficiency. Prior to the demonstration of proficiency by the operator, each is administered a pre-test to document knowledge of basic operational techniques and safety processes required to properly operate the equipment. Once the testing phase has been successfully completed, operators are evaluated utilizing a standardized checklist unique to the specific heavy equipment being utilized. Upon successful completion of the evaluation, each operator receives a final determination of proficiency presented to the host administrator documenting each operator’s level of skill on the designated piece of equipment.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- In order to fully comply with safety measures specific to the operation of heavy equipment, operators are required to wear all associated personal protective equipment during the evaluation process.
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Conduct pre-operational inspection
- Perform start and shut down according to manufacturer’s specifications
- Set up telescoping hydraulic excavator on an excavation site creating a stable platform avoiding danger
- Rough cut trenches and excavations from back of unit
- Perform rough cut excavations
- Ability to change out attachments
- Demonstrate uses for different attachments
- Perform advanced operational tasks (if applicable)
Heavy equipment operators employed by state and local authorities who require formal proficiency and evaluation of all operational skills associated with assigned use of equipment.