HEP919 – 8.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, this course can be scheduled to meet your specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Infrastructure Training & Safety Institute
OSHA Training Institute Education Center at (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
The Asphalt Distributor Heavy Equipment Proficiency Evaluation provides industry professionals and employers with the ability to properly document operator skill levels. During the evaluation process, TEEX Heavy Equipment Program personnel provide an overview of all equipment use expectations and those criteria to be used during the formal check of skill level and proficiency. Prior to the demonstration of proficiency by the operator, each is administered a pre-test to document knowledge of basic operational techniques and safety processes required to properly operate the equipment. Once the testing phase has been successfully completed, operators are evaluated utilizing a standardized checklist unique to the specific heavy equipment being utilized. Upon successful completion of the evaluation, each operator receives a final determination of proficiency presented to the host administrator documenting each operator’s level of skill on the designated piece of equipment.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- In order to fully comply with safety measures specific to the operation of heavy equipment, operators are required to wear all associated personal protective equipment during the evaluation process.
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Conduct pre-operational inspection
- Perform start and shut down according to manufacturer’s specifications
- Fill an asphalt distributor’s tank through manhole
- Fill asphalt distributor tank from cab and rear control panel
- Heat the asphalt material in distributor
- Circulate asphalt material in the tank from the cab and from the rear control panel
- Perform final spray bar adjustments
- Circulate asphalt material in the spray bar
- Correctly set the distributor’s alignment guide reference for applying asphalt material within the road lane shape and width while driving
- Spray asphalt material through the spray bar
- Suckback asphalt from spray bar
- Ability to safely hand spray from distributor
- Suckback the hand spray wand and hose
- Safely conduct pump-off operations
- Safely transfer asphalt from one source to another
- Adjust spray bar and/or nozzles to cover joint lines
- without lapping curb lines
- and avoid hitting other adjacent objects along the road surface
- Set controls for applying asphalt material to narrow widths of road surface
- such as edges of asphalt roads
- Adjust the spray bar height to obtain proper lap of each spray nozzle over the entire width of spray bar
- Ability to strap (measure) a distributor tank to determine amount of asphalt inside
- Knowledge of the various asphalt material application temperatures before loading hot asphalt material into the distributor
- Perform advanced operational tasks (if applicable)
Heavy equipment operators employed by state and local authorities who require formal proficiency and evaluation of all operational skills associated with assigned use of equipment.