MSP100 – 56.00 Hours
|03/18/24 – 03/24/24
|LS MSP100 20
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This motorcycle safety course prepares the instructor candidate to conduct the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Riders Course (BRC) and to obtain the MSF National RiderCoach Certification. During the course, the instructor candidate will learn how to teach the BRC curriculum, practice teaching in the classroom, how to manage the range exercises, and how to evaluate and coach students as they develop their riding skills.
Upon successful completion of the course, the instructor candidate must obtain a Texas Motorcycle Instructors License from Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
- Must meet the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) minimum standards for licensing as defined by Administrative Rules of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation 16 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 98
- Good driving record without disqualifying violations
- At least 18 years of age
- Pre-course assignment will be mailed out once all requirements have been met and tuition is paid. The completed pre-course assignment must be brought with you to the class and ready to show the instructor on the first day of the course offering.
Please upload the following documents to your MyTEEX Student Portal (please label file lastname,firstname,doctype):
- Front and back copy of valid driver’s license with full motorcycle endorsement from state of residency for two years preceding the date of submitting the application.
- Copy of Texas Department of Public Safety Driver Record (Type AR)
Note: A MSF BRC is not a prerequisite for attending this course, however it is required by MSF before you can become an MSF-certified RiderCoach instructor. Any additional information can be found at their website at: https://msf-usa.org/become-a-ridercoach.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
The participant must provide the following required riding gear:
- United States Department of Transportation (DOT) approved motorcycle helmet in good condition and free of defects
- Eye protection (shatter resistant eye glasses, sun glasses, or safety glasses)
- Long pants (blue jeans or BDU type pants)
- Lace up boots (cover above the ankle with good grip soles – no leather soles)
- Full finger gloves
- Long sleeve shirt or jacket
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a 100% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Currently rides a motorcycle on a frequent, routine basis
- Have several years of varied motorcycle riding experience
Note: MSF highly recommends you complete a BRC prior to attending the RiderCoach Preparation Course.
Upon successful completion, you will be able to:
- How to teach the Basic Riders Course (BRC)
- Practice teaching in the classroom
- Managing the range exercises
- Evaluating and coaching students through skill development
- Individuals desiring to teach the Basic Riders Course and become a MSF RiderCourse Certified RiderCoach
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 56.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
TDLR requirements for How to Apply for a New Motorcycle Safety Instructor License can be found here: https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/mot/mot-instructor-apply.htm.