Collecting and storing evidence is a crucial aspect of an investigation. This online course will teach participants how to properly manage and store property and evidence for investigative purposes. Participants will also complete interactive scenarios by applying Texas law and proven practices developed by the Texas Association of Property and Evidence Inventory Technicians (TAPEIT). The practices learned in this course may be superseded by your agency departmental policy.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Basic Property Technician Course #40062.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration date.
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course, you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
- Broadband Internet Connection Using Current Browser - Microsoft Edge is not a supported browser
Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review
each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities,
quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
TopicsChain of custody +Dispositions of abandoned/unclaimed and safe-keeping property +Dispositions of evidence +Packaging of evidence +Property room management
Law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel assigned to
investigative tasks and duties such as property and evidence technicians, crime scene investigators, fire
investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators, patrol officers,
corrections officers and forensic nurses who collect or store evidence. Additional audiences are personnel from the criminal justice system and public/private companies with duties related to evidence and/or chain of custody.
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)+ACE+Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Refunds are not available for eLearning courses, nor may a course be transferred from one customer to another.
TAPEIT property technician certification information
The TEEX Basic Property Technician course is recognized by TAPEIT as meeting a portion of the requirements necessary to achieve the TAPEIT Property Technician Basic Certification. Visit the TAPEIT website to obtain additional information about the program.