This course is designed to provide you with the basic skill set needed to satisfy the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) minimum requirements for a State Certified Hazardous Material Technician. All Skills Testing is conducted during the second week of training.
After completion of the class, you will need to contact TCFP to schedule written testing.
Pro Board Certification Only
Proof of training completion for all competencies at the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 472 Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents
- Chapter 4, “Competencies for Awareness Level Personnel”
- Chapter 5, “Core Competencies for Operations Level Responders”
- Chapter 6.2, “Mission-Specific Competencies: Personal Protective Equipment”
- Chapter 6.6, “Mission-Specific Competencies: Product Control.”
Please review the Documentation for Pro Board Certification Requirements
Must be a certified Commission Fire Fighter to complete certification as a Commission HazMat Technician.
Course Completion Requirements
Personal Protective Equipment
- Regular work attire, including safety shoes, for training activities and classroom sessions.
- You may not wear to any class or field activity
- sleeveless shirts
- open-toed shoes
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, participants should secure a professional evaluation of their physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
TCFP Certified Fire Fighters interested in receiving Hazardous Material (HazMat) Technician certification from TCFP.
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Courses will begin at 8 a.m. on the first day of class unless other arrangements have been made.
To register for this course, please contact TEEX for additional information.
For responders in the state of Texas, this course is also available at no cost through the Texas Division of Emergency Management.