Suicide is the leading cause of inmate deaths in local jail facilities. Many of these suicides can be prevented if correctional officers have the proper understanding of suicidal behavior and inmates’ mental impairments. Jail suicides can be averted with implementation of a comprehensive prevention program that includes staff training, intake screening, communication between staff, appropriate and safe housing, frequent observation, prompt intervention, and social interactions. This course is one of the Intermediate Core Courses required by Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) rules to receive intermediate certification as a county corrections officer.
This course meets TCOLE requirements Course #3501.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from registration.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
- Broadband internet connection
- Current browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants
must review each module and complete all required course assignments,
activities, quizzes, and or end of course exam.
TopicsAdmission of inmates +Factors influencing suicidal behavior +Handling a suicide/attempted suicide +Interacting with suicidal inmates +Interviewing and assessing inmates +Mental retardation or mental illness +Overview of jail suicide +Suicide prevention plans
- Texas County and municipal jail staff responsible for inmate oversight and control within a jail facility
Continuing Education and Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or email@example.com