Proper classification is crucial to the efficient and safe operation of any jail facility. Objective jail classification is the formal process of administering facilities based upon agency resources and inmate program needs. When classification measures are applied consistently, the results will show a reduction in prison infractions resulting in a safer environment for both inmates and staff.
The Texas Commission on Jail Standards (TCJS) implemented the objective jail classification system in 1997. The system uses locally developed and validated instruments, one at intake and another after a period of confinement, that identify the level of risk and needs presented by an inmate so that appropriate housing and program assignments can be made.
This course was developed in cooperation with the Texas Commission on Jail Standards and meets the requirements of TCJS Standard 371.3 training.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Objective Jail Classification Course #3519.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
- Broadband internet connection
- Current browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 30 or higher, Google Chrome 37 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Safari 7 or higher
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
- Adobe Flash 11 or higher
TopicsBasics of Objective Jail Classification+Minimum Jail Standards+Intake Screening+Classification Assessments+Classification Audits+Discipline, Complaints, and Grievances+The Point Additive System and Decision Tree Model
- Agencies responsible for correctional facilities (specifically prisons and jails)
- Jail administrators, jailers/detention officers, criminal justice system planners, and other officials involved in criminal justice system issues
Continuing Education & Professional CreditsTexas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or email@example.com.
- Refunds are not available for eLearning courses, nor may the course be transferred from one customer to another.
Visit the TCJS website to learn more about the Texas Commission on Jail Standards.