The Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry (OSHA #511) course covers OSHA Standards, policies, and procedures in general industry. Topics include scope and application of the OSHA General Industry Standards, general industry principles and special emphasis on those areas in general industry which are most hazardous. Upon course completion, students will have the ability to define general industry terms found in the OSHA General Industry Standards, identify hazards which occur in general industry, locate and determine appropriate OSHA General Industry Standards, policies, and procedures, and describe the use of OSHA General Industry Standards and regulations to supplement an ongoing safety and health program.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
TEEX and the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) have an attendance policy that requires all students to fully attend enrolled classes. In order for the student to receive a certificate of completion, they must attend the entire class. We realize that extenuating circumstances may arise that would take a student out of class and have implemented the following policy to handle those situations. Below are the responsibilities and expectations of students in a TEEX course.
- Participants are expected to attend 100% of the course in which they are enrolled before a certificate of successful completion can be issued.
- If an extenuating circumstance arises in which a participant is unable to attend 100% of class, the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form prior to their leaving the classroom. If the extenuating circumstance arises during non-class hours, then the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form when they return to the class. If the participant is unable to return to class, they must still contact the instructor for the required processing.
- If the instructor approves an absence and the absence time is less than 20% of the class time, the instructor can assign makeup work for equivalent time missed.
- All assigned makeup work must be documented, checked by the instructor and returned with class materials to be maintained in the class record as required by OSHA and TEEX.
- For all other approved absences, participants must enroll through TEEX Registration to retake the course within the OSHA required six-month time frame.
- Unexcused absences require participants to register/pay/attend the class again at another time.
TopicsRecordkeeping +Subpart D - Walking/Working surfaces +Subpart E - Exit routes, emergency action plans, fire prevention plans +Subpart I - Personal Protective Equipment +Subpart J - Permit Required Confined Space +Subpart L - Fire Protection +Subpart N - Materials Handling +Subpart O - Machine Guarding +Subpart S - Electrical
- Industrial Hygienists
- Safety Supervisors
- Building Inspectors
- Hazardous Waste Managers
Continuing Education and Professional Credits3.1 CEUs
Government ProgramsPost 9/11 GI Bill Benefits® For information contact Veteranservices@teex.tamu.edu or call (877) 833-9638