Basic Wastewater Operations correspondence course participants receive an introduction to wastewater collection and treatment, including an overview of the water cycle. Upon completion of the course, students will be able to describe the responsibilities of wastewater system personnel, with emphasis on the need for regulation of wastewater discharge to protect receiving streams and public health, safety, and welfare. Participants will also be able to describe Texas rules and regulations for licensing of wastewater system operators.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Student Must Provide
- A proctor for all examinations
- Access to a wastewater treatment plant facility and the plant's discharge permit information
- Ability to perform a settleable solids test and acquire information on a collection system
- Access to a collection system map, information specific to a lift station, pump and motor
- Access to safety meeting information
Items Needed for Course Testing/Assessment
- Course must be completed within six months of start date
- All course examinations must be proctored
TopicsWastewater Treatment Goals+The Operator and the Law+Wastewater Characteristics+Domestic Wastewater Pretreatment+The Collection System+Preliminary Treatment and Flow Measurement+Sedimentation+Activated Sludge Process+Fixed Film Treatment+Stabilization Ponds+Sludge Processing+Disinfection+Safety+Calculations
Suggested AudienceThis course is designed for public works personnel and new employees of a wastewater system.
Continuing Education and Professional Credits2 CEUs
TCEQ licensed wastewater operators