The Wastewater Treatment correspondence course provides participants with a review of the water cycle together with a general description of the responsibilities of wastewater system personnel. During the course, participants receive information specific to the regulation of wastewater dischargers and state rules and regulations for licensing of wastewater system operators. In addition to those areas mentioned, formulas discussed are reviewed and applied to specific problems related to wastewater treatment, solids treatment and effluent disinfection procedures.
NOTE: Online registration for this correspondence course is unavailable. After reviewing the course brochure, please access and complete the correspondence course registration form located in the resource area. Once completed, submit the entire packet to TEEX. Contact Customer Care at (800) 723-3811 with any additional questions.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Student Must Provide
- A proctor during all examinations
- Ability to acquire information on plant laboratory data, equipment and treatment units
- Access to process control information from an activated sludge facility, a trickling filter facility, RBC facility, and a pond facility
- Ability to perform a chlorine residual analysis
- Access to plant record information, a Material Safety Data Sheet, and a microscope
Items Needed for Course Testing/Assessment
- Course must be completed within six months of start date
- All course examinations must be proctored
Prior Training Courses or Knowledge
It is recommended, but not required, participants complete the Basic Wastewater Operations course.
TopicsIntroduction to Wastewater Treatment+State Requirements+Composition and Characteristics of Wastewater+Industrial Waste Monitoring+Preliminary and Primary Treatment+Secondary Treatment: Biological Treatment+Suspended Growth Systems: Ponds+The Activated Sludge Process+Fixed Film Systems: Trickling Filters and Rotating+Biological Contactors+Advanced Treatment Processes+Sludge Digestion, Dewatering, and Disposal+Chlorination and Disinfection of Wastewater+Application of Laboratory Control Determinations+Records and Safety Practices+Calculations
Suggested AudienceThis course is designed for public works personnel and new employees of a wastewater treatment system.
Continuing Education and Professional Credits2 CEUs
CE+TCEQ licensed wastewater operators