XFD006 – 8.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This is the lesson covering personal protective clothing and equipment. This lesson describes different types of protective clothing and equipment, safety considerations related to protective clothing and equipment, and how to prepare clothing and equipment for reuse. The lesson also covers self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). It describes how to don and doff SCBA, how to inspect and maintain SCBA, and how to use respiratory equipment.
(Note: Skills portion may or may not be included in this course please contact the host agency for details)
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook opens in a new tab for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
PPE must be NFPA-approved. See the Student Safety Manual to review PPE requirements for level 4.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed
Essentials of Fire Fighting, Seventh Edition recommended.
Upon successful completion, you will be able to:
- Describe the various types and uses of personal protective equipment (PPE) worn by firefighters.
- Describe the inspection, cleaning, and maintenance of PPE.
- Describe conditions that require the use of respiratory protection equipment.
- Identify SCBA components and limitations.
- Describe the procedures for donning and doffing SCBA.
- Explain the process of inspecting and cleaning SCBA.
- Describe methods of refilling, replacing, and storing SCBA cylinders.
- Describe safety considerations for working in and exiting a hazardous atmosphere while wearing SCBA.
All Emergency response and public personnel.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)
To request this class in your jurisdiction or department, please use the Emergency Services ATraining Institute (ESTI) Extension Course Request Form. ESTI Extension Course Request