FSA103 – 40.00 Hours
The Woodlands Fire Trng Center
16135 Interstate 45 S
Conroe, TX 77385
08:00 AM Monday, July 27, 2020
Central Daylight Time (CDT)
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
The science of bloodstain pattern analysis can assist investigators in making determinations, such as, relative positions of the victim or suspect, the nature of the force and weapon used, and the approximate number of blows struck during an assault. This course is designed for those who investigate crime scenes containing blood evidence, such as assaults and death investigation, as well as those who process bloodstained evidentiary items. Participants will learn the basic knowledge of bloodstain pattern analysis, including methods and skills for the scientific interpretation of bloodstain evidence at crime scenes and on evidentiary items. Course instruction is through lecture and case review with emphasis on experiments and practical application.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Bloodstain Pattern Analysis Course #40057.
Participants enrolling in this course must meet one of the following employment statuses:
- Licensed or certified peace officer with a current
commission employed by or attached to a law enforcement/investigative
- Civilian employed by a law enforcement/investigative agency
conducting investigative tasks or duties
- Nurse employed by a medical facility tasked with conducting
Prior to the start of course, a member of the Forensic Science Academy staff will contact participants to verify employment in one of the fields listed above.
Students will be contacted via email to confirm approval and admittance into the course.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. the course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
Student May Bring:
- Camera for documentation of created exemplars
- Magnifier/loupe with scale
- Scientific calculator
- Clear plastic 12-inch ruler scaled in tenth and metric gradations
- Mechanical pencil
Course Attire / PPE
- Participants will be required to conduct field exercises throughout the
week and should dress appropriately for both indoor and outdoor
- Biological hazards in crime scenes
- Bloodstain pattern analysis and courtroom testimony
- Chemical processing of crime scenes
- Determining area of convergence of bloodstains
- Determining area of origin of bloodstains
- Determining the angle of impact of bloodstains
- Documenting crime scenes
- History of bloodstain pattern analysis
- Identification and analysis of bloodstain patterns
- Measuring bloodstains
- Utilizing bloodstain pattern analysis at crime scenes
Law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel assigned to
investigative tasks and duties such as crime scene investigators, crime scene reconstructionists, detectives, medicolegal
death investigators and patrol officers
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- 4.00 CEUs
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 3.00 hours – ACE
- 20.00 hours – International Association of Identification (IAI)
- 40.00 hours – International Association of Bloodstain Pattern Analysts (IABPA)
- Students will use bovine blood during class activities
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-6677
- Purchase Order – Complete registration form and send to email@example.com or fax to (979) 862-2788
- Check – Complete registration form and mail to: TEEX – LAW, P.O. Box 40006, College Station, TX 77842
- If paying by purchase order or check, please fill out the required registration form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (979) 862-2788.