FSA113 – 40.00 Hours
|LS FSA113 116||$95.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
This online course prepares participants for their transition from a traditional patrol/traffic function to an investigative position, such as a detective. The Basic Criminal Investigation course is also appropriate for those agencies that require officers to perform both patrol and investigative functions. From the initial response to case prosecution, officers will learn how to manage a wide variety of common criminal investigations. Emphasis is placed on preparation of affidavits, procurement and execution of search and arrest warrants, interview and interrogation procedures, and rules governing the collection and preservation of evidence. Additionally, participants will learn case preparation techniques and unique aspects of special topic investigations, such as narcotics, property crimes, and crimes against persons.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Basic Criminal Investigation Course #40051.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 90 days from the registration date.
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course, you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 52 or higher, Google Chrome 80 or higher
- Alternatives: Internet Explorer 11, Safari 11 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Crime scene investigation
- Developing investigative leads
- Subpoenas, warrants, and search warrants
- Case preparation
- Procedures for investigating specific crimes
- Law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel assigned to investigative tasks and duties such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, current and newly assigned detectives, medicolegal death investigators and patrol officers
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- .60 IACET CEUs
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 2.00 hours – ACE
- 40.00 hours – Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or email@example.com
- Refunds are not available for eLearning courses, nor may a course be transferred from one customer to another.
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433