HAZ019 – 40.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This non-certification course meets or exceeds the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 Hazardous Materials / WMD Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications Chapter 7, Hazardous Materials Technicians and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q)(6)(iii) for Technician-level personnel.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For field exercise, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
- Participants are required to participate in hands-on activities utilizing Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and therefore must be clean shaven while attending class. Facial hair must not be present where the SCBA mask seal contacts the skin. Mustaches and normal sideburns are permitted.
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve / long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts).
Participants Must Provide
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, participants should secure a professional evaluation of their physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
Recommended Prior Knowledge
It is recommended that participants complete a Hazardous Materials Operations level training course prior to registering for this course.
- Analyze the incident
- Collect and Interpret hazard and response information
- Determine scope of the problem
- Describe type and extent of damage to containers
- Predict the behavior of released materials and containers
- Estimate the size of endangered area
- Plan a Response
- Describe response objectives and options
- Select Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for action options
- Select Technical decontamination Process
- Develop a site-safety plan
- Implement the response
- Perform duties of Hazardous Materials (HazMat) position within Incident Command Systems (ICS)
- Don, Doff, and Work in technician-level PPE
- Perform Offensive control options
- Perform decon functions
- Evaluate effectiveness of control functions
- Evaluate effectiveness of decon
- Terminating the Incident
- Incident Debrief and Critique
- Reports and documentation
- A, B, & C Chlorine Kits
- MC306/406 Dome Clamp with Grounding and Bonding
- Level A Dress out with SCBA
- Drum Leak Repair and Over packing
- Instrumentation Laboratory
Personnel who respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials/weapons of mass destruction (WMD) for the purpose of analyzing the incident, selecting appropriate PPE, decontamination procedures, and implementing action options to mitigate the incident.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Phone: (979) 500-6842 | (866) 878-8900
Email: [email protected]
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-2130.
- Purchase Order Complete online registration and send a copy of PO documentation within 48 hours.