LET575 – 40.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence at (800) 423-8433 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
Knowing how to shoot well is an important requirement for police firearms instructors, but they must also know how to teach others to shoot and handle firearms. This course will help you develop the additional knowledge, skills, and techniques needed to organize and teach firearms courses. Participants will learn to diagnose and correct student weaknesses, analyze and score targets, design and run courses of fire, and properly document police firearms training. Participants will be able to develop and implement comprehensive firearms training programs.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Firearms Instructor Course #2222.
- “The instruction was very good and spot on scope of information. I was also very impressed with the level of teaching skills displayed by the teachers. I will recommend this school very highly going forward.“
Participants enrolling in this course must complete the following course prior to attendance:
- Basic Instructor Development (TCOLE #1014) or a course equivalent.
Please send proof of course completion via email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks prior to class start date.
Participants will be contacted via email to confirm approval and admittance into course.
Course Completion Requirements
- Participants must pass the Firearms Instructor Qualifications on the first day of class. There will be no refunds for any candidate dismissed for failure to meet the minimum firearms qualification.
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
- Hearing protection
- Wrap around eye protection
- Billed cap
- Semi-automatic pistol with three magazines
- .38 or .357 caliber revolver and two-speed loaders
- Duty belt, flashlight, magazine holder, speed loader pouch and appropriate holsters for the revolver and semi-automatic pistol
- Factory loaded ammunition, 500 rounds for semi-automatic pistol and 200 rounds of revolver ammunition
- 12 gauge police shotgun with ammunition (50 rounds birdshot, 25 rounds 00 buck and 10 rounds of rifled slug)
- Durable clothes for outdoor range activities including foul weather
- Gun cleaning supplies appropriate for their weapons
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example, a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Applying firearms safety and liability issues
- Designing courses of fire
- Identifying and correcting shooter problems
- Teaching the fundamentals of shooting
- Understanding firing range operations and firearms instructor duties
- Participants should be currently commissioned peace officers or security personnel
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Firearms Instructor Qualifications
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-6677
- Purchase Order – Complete registration form and send to email@example.com or fax to (877) 289-9715
- Check – Complete registration form and mail to: TEEX – ILEPSE, P.O. Box 40006, College Station, TX 77842