LET585 – 24.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
Supervising a work environment requires advanced skills in leadership, counseling, motivation, and communication to create an effective and positive workplace. This course will provide participants with training vital to effective leadership and administrative tasks. Participants will learn topics in ethics, effective communication, leadership styles, counseling, planning and organization.
This course is mandatory for peace officers who are appointed to, or who will be appointed to, their first supervisory position. TCOLE requires officers to attend this course between a year before and a year after their appointment.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements New Supervisor’s Course #3737.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example, a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
Upon successful completion, you will be able to:
- Making the transition from line officer to supervisor
- Identifying common threads in leadership, management and supervision
- Using leadership, counseling, motivation and communication skill effectively
- Understanding values, ethics, and fundamental principles of leadership and supervision
- Understanding the supervisor’s role as it relates the overall goals of the agency
- Using a systematic approach to identify and solve problems
- Understanding administrative tasks such as budgeting, scheduling, planning, and staffing
- Applying work performance measures and employee evaluations
- Applying liability and civil rights issues for supervisors
- Understanding the benefits of working with citizens and addressing citizen’s complaints
- Supervisors in a public safety or law enforcement agency or anticipate promotion to a supervisor position in the near future
- The course is also beneficial for those who are responsible for the day-to-day supervision of law enforcement or similar personnel
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 24.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]