The Disaster Preparedness for Hospitals and Healthcare Organizations Within The Community Infrastructure course provides information specific to hospitals and organizations vulnerability to a disaster. During this FEMA sponsored course, participants will be introduced to the various natural, technological, and civil hazards to which hospitals and healthcare organizations may be vulnerable and the potential impacts of those hazards.
Federal guidelines and legislation that serve to aid in the preparedness for, and response to, incidents involving these hazards are discussed, as are current emergency management standards for the hospital community. Participants review response and recovery issues that should be addressed by medical facilities and organizations in preparation for a large-scale incident, including identification of critical resources necessary for response and recovery.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
FEMA Student ID Requirement
Prior to course delivery, the hosting jurisdiction for the class shall inform all participants of the FEMA requirement to establish a FEMA Student Identification Number (SID). This can be accomplished by registering at FEMA’s website. Participants will be asked to provide their SID when they arrive and complete the registration process for the course.
Participants are encouraged to take the online courses IS 100, IS 700.A, and IS 800 at http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp before attending this course.
TopicsFundamentals of preparedness +Preparing the recovery +Preparing the response +What are we preparing for? +Assessing your preparedness
- Hospital and healthcare industry managers
- Department heads, directors, assistant directors, and senior medical staff
- Personnel responsible for, or contributing to, emergency preparedness planning
- Regulatory personnel
- Public health or health department personnel
- Mental health managers and personnel
- Nursing home managers
- Local emergency management directors/managers
- Emergency services managers/administrators
Government Programs, Certifications and AccreditationsFor DHS/FEMA Funded Courses, please contact (800) 723-3811+GSA contract number: GS-07F-0357V. GSA customers, to register please contact email@example.com or call (800) 723-3811
Continuing Education & Professional Credits
- This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Emergency Nurses Association, an accredited approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
- Registration for each class will be processed by the host city.