ASP601 – 72.00 Hours
|FP ASP601 14||$665.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This course is designed to provide the knowledge to get you started in the American fire service. It is the first of several courses that cover the objectives set forth in NFPA 1001 (2019 edition) for Firefighter Level I. This online component is to be completed by using a computer, textbook, and online supplemental material. It consists of reading assignments, online knowledge-building activities, videos, chapter quizzes and tests. The online lecture portion for Firefighter I may be completed at your own pace for up to 12 weeks. Time starts when registration is complete; NOT when you first log-in to the course. Access to the course is through your TEEX Student Portal account.
Materials for ASP601 corresponds to the 7th Edition of IFSTA’s Essentials of Firefighting.
The online component is just the beginning. There are many skills which must be mastered in order to complete your firefighter level I training.
Firefighter Level I skills have been divided into two associated courses. Each skills course is a week of face-to-face hands-on field-application training. You will put your online learning into practice by participating in field exercises and scenarios. See ASP602 and ASP603 for more information on Firefighter I skills.
Once you complete this course and receive training in all associated skills, you may be eligible for certification. Please check with the fire certification agency in your area to learn what qualifications are required. This course is not a Pro Board certification and cannot be converted to Pro Board. It also does not directly lead to TCFP certification.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
In order to successfully complete this course, you should have access to computer equipment meeting the following system requirements:
- Recommended screen resolution: 1280 x 1024
- Minimum screen resolution: 1024 x 768
- Broadband or high speed internet
- Latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari web browser
- Latest version of Adobe Reader
Students Must Provide
Books – IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting, 7th Edition Manual
Clothing and Protective Equipment Requirements
- This is the online course so there are no PPE requirements.
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Introduction to the Fire Service and Firefighter Safety
- Building Construction
- Fire Dynamics
- Firefighter Personal Protective Equipment
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Ropes and Knots
- Ground Ladders
- Forcible Entry
- Structural Search and Rescue
- Tactical Ventilation
- Fire Hose
- Hose Operations and Hose Streams
- Fire Suppression
- Overhaul, Property Conservation, and Scene Preservation
This course is targeted for individual pursuing firefighter certification
Phone: (866) 878-8900
Email: [email protected]
New Annual Schools Path toward Firefighter I and II Certification
- Option A – New firefighters or those with limited training opportunities.
- Option B and B2 – Firefighters with some training but not enough to complete FFI. They get to skip ASP602 if they have documented completion of the live-fire prerequisites per NFPA 1403. The difference between B & B2 is when ASP604/605 are taken (spring/summer vs fall/winter).
- Option C – Firefighters who have completed the Firefighting Phases (1 3) from previous Annual Schools or have already finished Firefighter Level 1.
The online courses are now available year-round!
Online courses are eligible for H.B. 2604 reimbursement (if eligible), upon successful completion
Check with the Texas A&M Forest Service at www.TexasFD.com for more details.
All students must follow the TEEX Student Safety Manual at all times.