FSA115 – 16.00 Hours
|LS FSA115 97||$55.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
Identification of suspects through fingerprint comparison is critical for many investigators. This online course teaches participants the fundamental principles of fingerprint comparison while guiding them through the ACE-V Methodology (Analysis, Comparison, Evaluation, and Verification). Participants will be provided with the history and science of fingerprint analysis and comparison while simulating the role of an expert witness in court.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements for Texas Forensic Science Academy Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison course #40063.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration date.
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 96 or higher, Google Chrome 97 or higher
- Alternative: Safari 15 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- History and science of fingerprint analysis and comparison
- Patterns and minutiae
- Value of prints for comparison
- Evaluating prints for a match
- Verification determinations for a case file
- Consequences of wrongful comparisons
- Law enforcement and non-commissioned tenprint/latent print examiners as well as personnel assigned to investigative tasks and duties such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators and patrol officers
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 16.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 16.00 hours – Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- 16.00 hours – International Association of Identification (IAI)
- 3.00 hours – ACE American Council on Education (ACE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or [email protected].
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]