HAZ026 – 20.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, this course can be scheduled to meet your specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
This course meets or exceeds the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 472 Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents Chapter 12, “Competencies for Hazardous Materials Technicians with a Tank Car Specialty.”
Upon completion of this course you are eligible to take the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board) written exam and skills testing.
Pro Board Certification Requirements
Participants pursuing Pro Board certification must provide proof of NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Technician dated prior to the last day of class. The documentation must meet the certification office requirements.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For field exercise, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
- Participants are required to participate in hands-on activities utilizing Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and therefore must be clean shaven while attending class. Facial hair must not be present where the SCBA mask seal contacts the skin. Mustaches and normal sideburns are permitted.
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve / long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts).
Pro Board Certification Testing
Participants are required to provide a photo ID at time of Pro Board testing.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend 100% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion and to sit for the Pro Board certification exam.
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, participants should secure a professional evaluation of their physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
Recommended Prior Knowledge
It is recommended that participants have prior Hazardous Materials Technician level training.
- Tank Car Construction
- Damage Assessment
- Transfer Techniques
- Leak Containment
- Fitting Repair
Technician-level personnel expected to respond to HazMat incidents and provide technical support, oversight for product removal and moving of damaged tank cars, and act as a liaison between outside resources and technicians.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- Pro Board
Class Location and Travel Information
For responders in the state of Texas, this course is also available at no cost through the Texas Division of Emergency Management.
HazMat Training Manager
Phone: (979) 458-3640 | Toll-Free: (979) 458-4368
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-2130
- Purchase Order – Complete online registration and send a copy of PO documentation within 48 hours to Cynthia.Ford@teex.tamu.edu.