LET320 – 4.00 Hours
|LS LET320 107||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
Available Online – Free! Proper classification is crucial to the efficient and safe operation of any jail facility. Objective jail classification is the formal process of administering facilities based upon agency resources and inmate program needs. When classification measures are applied consistently, the results will show a reduction in prison infractions resulting in a safer environment for both inmates and staff.
The Texas Commission on Jail Standards (TCJS) implemented the objective jail classification system in 1997. The system uses locally developed and validated instruments, one at intake and another after a period of confinement, that identify the level of risk and needs presented by an inmate so that appropriate housing and program assignments can be made.
This course was developed in cooperation with the Texas Commission on Jail Standards and meets the requirements of TCJS Standard 271.3 training.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Objective Jail Classification Course #3519.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 96 or higher, Google Chrome 97 or higher
- Alternative: Safari 15 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and or end of course exam.
- Basics of Objective Jail Classification
- Minimum Jail Standards
- Intake Screening
- Classification Assessments
- Classification Audits
- Discipline, Complaints, and Grievances
- The Point Additive System and Decision Tree Model
- Agencies responsible for correctional facilities (specifically prisons and jails)
- Jail administrators, jailers/detention officers, criminal justice system planners, and other officials involved in criminal justice system issues
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 4.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or [email protected]
Texas Commission on Jail Standards
Visit the TCJS website to learn more about the Texas Commission on Jail Standards.
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]