LET700 – 8.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
Personal defense sprays represent an important self-defense and subject control tool for law enforcement and security personnel. It is important that instructors construct a safe learning environment for students to ensure safety and maximum learning value. This course is designed to promote safe and effective use of law enforcement chemical defense sprays. The participant will learn when defense sprays are appropriate, tactics of application, proper means of handling, and decontamination of those exposed. Additionally, the participant will be aware of the potential medical implications associated with the use of defense sprays.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements LET700 Personal Defense Spray Course #78031.
- “Role rehearsal brought it all together, great training.“
- “I love TEEX. Every instructor I’ve ever had has been top of the line. It’s a privilege taking the classes here at TEEX.“
Participants enrolling in this course must complete the following course prior to attendance:
- Basic Instructor Development (TCOLE #1014) or a course equivalent
Please send proof of course completion via email to [email protected] at least two weeks prior to class start date.
Participants will be contacted via email to confirm approval and admittance into course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Exposure to chemical defense spray during class is mandatory
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example, a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Composition of modern defense sprays
- Control tactics follow-up procedures
- Decontamination Procedures
- Defense spray selection
- Delivery systems
- History of law enforcement chemical weapons
- Physiological effects of defense sprays
- Practical exercises
- Practical Exercises Performed
- Tactics of application
- Use of force issues
- Law enforcement officers, detention officers, and security personnel authorized to carry defense sprays
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 8.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]