ORA101 – 545.00 Hours
TEEX-Brayton Fire Field
1595 Nuclear Science Road
College Station, TX 77843
08:00 AM Tuesday, September 01, 2020
Central Daylight Time (CDT)
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (866) 878-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
This course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to obtain NFPA 1001 Firefighter Levels I and II certification. The course is comprised of two parts – an online portion and a face-to-face skills portion. You must successfully complete both parts to be eligible to sit for the certification examination.
The NFPA 1001 Firefighter I & II online portion is completed by using a home computer, textbook, and online supplemental material. It consists of reading assignments, online knowledge-building activities, online discussions with your instructor and fellow students, videos and multimedia, module quizzes, and a final exam. You will have 10 weeks to complete the online portion of this course.
The NFPA 1001 Firefighter I & II skills session is a three week, face-to-face boot camp consisting of classroom and hands-on field application training. You will put your online learning into practice by participating in field exercises and scenarios, as well as classroom exercises and discussions. The three week skills session begins two weeks after the end date of the online portion of the course.
This program meets or exceeds all requirements set by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX), Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP), and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications, as well as NFPA 472 / NFPA 1072, Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents.
In addition, you will receive the following certificates as part of completing this course:
Courage to Be Safe: Everyone Goes Home
National Traffic Safety Course
This course provides a total of 545 hours of training.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Mus submit a copy of High School Diploma or GED (minimum)
- Must possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle driver’s license, with no pending actions of suspension or revocation and provide a copy on day one of the Academy.
- Doctor Physical (30 days or less from start of class)
- Proof of Meningococcal vaccination if 21 years old or younger
- International Students must also have Passport and Affidavit of Responsibility.
- Important international Student Information
Course Completion Requirements
In order to successfully complete this course, you should have access to computer equipment meeting the following system requirements:
- Recommended screen resolution: 1280 x 1024
- Minimum screen resolution: 1024 x 768
- Broadband or high speed internet
- Latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari web browsers
- Latest version of Flash
- Latest version of Adobe Reader
Students Must Provide
- Protective Clothing – While performing field exercises, students must wear full protective clothing. Students may bring their own personal protective equipment (PPE) or departmental issue. All PPE worn during field exercises must meet NFPA standards and pass an inspection by the Academy staff. Protective clothing may also be rented by those students wishing to do so.
- Class Uniforms – Students must bring sufficient quantities of uniform clothing for the duration the Academy.
- Books – Current edition of IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting
The TEEX Online Recruit Academy Attendance Policy is found in the Basic Structure Fire Suppression Certification Rules, Policies, and Procedures in section V. Classroom Procedures and Expectations. Each students will receive this information in the online course.
Individuals seeking employment as a firefighter in a municipal fire department.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- Pro Board
- Texas Commission of Fire Protection (TCFP)
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
Available Skills Sessions
You must attend the skills session associated with your online class. You will be prompted to register for the skills session after successful completion of the online portion of the course.
TEEX does not provide housing. However, there are apartment complexes close to the fire field that have special rates for Cadets attending either academy. Search for housing around Harvey Mitchell Parkway (FM 2818) between George Bush Drive and Wellborn Road.
Enrolled cadets will receive detailed information about the academy electronically.
Participants needing disability related accommodations should visit the Disability Resources page for more information on how to request such accommodations.
Phone: (979) 862-6490
Bunker Gear Rental
Full tuition is required to reserve a place in this course. If you cancel 15 or more calendar days before the start of the class, TEEX will provide a refund, less the $500 fee. If you cancel 14 or fewer calendar days before the start of the class, you will lose the $500 and be charged 10% of the balance.
If you begin the academy and drop out, you will not receive any refund. The $500 fee is nonrefundable under any circumstance.