RFT001 – 545.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
TEEX Fire Training Academy prepares you for success as an entry-level firefighter. This is a 12-week program consisting of classroom and hands-on field application training. Our cadets must excel academically, demonstrate exceptional teamwork and leadership skills, and establish professional behavior.
This program meets or exceeds all requirements set by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX), Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP), and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications, as well as NFPA 472, Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents.
This course is held at TEEX Brayton Fire Training Field, College Station, TX
Applicants for either TEEX Recruit Fire Academy must meet the following requirements:
- Be a high school graduate or have passed a GED test
- Be at least 18 years of age
International applicants must meet the following additional requirements:
- Pass an English proficiency exam (coordinated through the TEEX International Student Advisor)
To apply for this course, applicants must provide the following documents at the time of registration:
- A completed Recruit Fire Academy Participant Enrollment Agreement.
- A color copy of a driver’s license or a form of government- or state-issued identification.
- A copy of a high school diploma or GED completion: Applicants that are still in high school at the time of enrollment are required to provide a letter from the school stating eligibility for graduation and date. College transcripts are also accepted as proof of high school completion.
- Proof of meningitis vaccination: Participants under the age of twenty-two must meet the requirements of vaccination within the last five years and a minimum of ten days prior to the first day of the traditional academy or boot camp. Please refer to the TEEX website for more information about meningitis requirements and exemptions.
A representative from TEEX will review your application and contact you if you’ve been cleared to complete the registration process and pay the balance of your tuition.
Important: Upon approval of your application to enroll in the TEEX Recruit Fire Academy, you will be required to submit a medical evaluation prior to the first day of class. You will receive the medical evaluation form along with your reporting instructions.
Course Completion Requirements
Students Must Provide
- Notebook paper (8½ × 11”)
- Pen, highlighters, #2 pencils
- Textbook and curriculum materials:
- International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA) Essentials of Fire Fighting, 7th edition, ISBN # 978-0-87939- 657-2
- IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting Course Workbook, 7th edition with new ISBN #978-0-87939-660-2
- TCFP Certification Curriculum Manual, Chapter One: Basic Fire Suppression (download a copy)
- Uniform essentials (purchased through Barker Productions).
- The complete listing of all uniform requirements can be found in the Recruit Fire Reporting Instructions.
- Bunker gear (see Turnout Rental flyer for more information about bunker gear rental): Coat, Pants, Boots, Hood, Helmet, Gloves
- 7-mm Prusik cord, 10 ft. in length (unless gear vendor provides)
- Black shoe polish
- Bag for change of clothes
- Athletic shoes and socks
- Backpack for books (black or navy)
- Reusable water bottle
The TEEX Traditional Recruit Academy Attendance Policy is found in the Basic Structure Fire Suppression Certification Rules, Policies, and Procedures in section V. Classroom Procedures and Expectations. Each student will receive this electronically via email during the first week of class.
- The course is taught from the IFSTA Essential 6th edition of Fire Fighting & Fire Department Operations. There are 23 chapters that cover all phases of firefighting that a Recruit needs to become certified as a Basic Structural Fire Protection Personnel.
Individuals seeking employment as a firefighter in a municipal fire department
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- 54.50 IACET CEUs
- Pro Board
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits® For information contact Veteranservices@teex.tamu.edu or call (877) 833-9638
Phone: (979) 321-6224
Participant Enrollment Agreement (Must download and open in Adobe Reader to complete and sign agreement)
Participants that cancel prior to the start of the course will be charged a processing fee of $125; in addition, TEEX will retain the $75 application fee. If TEEX cancels the course, TEEX will refund the participant all money, including the $75 application fee. If an applicant is determined to be ineligible to participate in the program or a prospective international participant had his/her visa application denied, TEEX will refund all monies paid by the participant, less the application fee of $75.