FSA104 – 40.00 Hours
|Details||08/07/23 – 08/11/23||Austin, TX||LS FSA104 27||$700.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
Even with the advent of DNA and other forensic technologies, fingerprints continue to be one of the single most important methods for biometric identification and criminal investigation. During this course, participants will receive information and learn techniques and methods for processing latent fingerprints. Participants will learn how to enhance visible fingerprints from crime scenes, as well as from physical evidence. Course instruction is through lecture and practical laboratory application.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Latent Print Processing Course #40055.
- “This course is absolutely the most relevant course I have taken. I feel like I will be prepared when I enter into my internship.“
- “The course exceeded my expectations. I have been working in this field for quite some time and did not expect to learn so much. The information gained was very applicable to my job duties.“
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Participants enrolling in this course must meet one of the following employment statuses:
- Licensed or certified peace officer with a current commission employed by or attached to a law enforcement/investigative agency
- Civilian employed by a law enforcement/investigative agency conducting investigative tasks or duties
- Nurse employed by a medical facility tasked with conducting forensic examinations
Prior to the start of the course, a member of the Forensic Science Academy staff will contact the participant to verify employment in one of the fields listed above.
Participants will be contacted via email to confirm approval and admittance into course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
- Digital SLR camera
- Class activities include the use of powders and chemical reagents; PPE is provided for use by participants.
- Closed toe shoes
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
Prior Training Courses or Knowledge
Participant May Bring
- Camera instruction manual
- Camera cable release
- Macro lens or diopters
- Laptop computer and photo card reader (for photo review)
- Class activities involve powders and chemicals; participants are encouraged to wear older, comfortable clothing
- DNA and latent prints
- Latent processing with chemicals, dyes, and non-powder processes
- Physiology of latent prints
- Powder processing
- Processing blood prints
- Processing fingerprints on difficult surfaces
- Documentation of latent prints
- Law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel assigned to investigative tasks and duties such as latent print processors, crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators and patrol officers
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 20.00 hours – International Association of Identification (IAI)
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 3.00 hours – ACE American Council on Education (ACE)
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-6677
- Purchase Order – Complete registration form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (877) 289-9715
- Check – Complete registration form and mail to: TEEX – ILEPSE, P.O. Box 40006, College Station, TX 77842