HAZ001 – 24.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This non-certification course meets or exceeds the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 Hazardous Materials / WMD Emergency Response Personnel Professional QualificationsChapter 4, Awareness, Chapter 5, Operations, Chapter 6.2, Personal Protective Equipment, and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q)(6)(i) and (q)(6)(ii) for Awareness and Operations-Level Personnel.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For field exercise, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
- Participants are required to participate in hands-on activities utilizing Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and therefore must be clean shaven while attending class. Facial hair must not be present where the SCBA mask seal contacts the skin. Mustaches and normal sideburns are permitted.
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve / long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts).
Participants Must Provide
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, you should secure a professional evaluation of your physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
- Analyze the incident
- Detect the presence of Hazardous Materials (HazMat)/Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Survey a HazMat/WMD incident from a safe location
- Initiate protective actions
- Initiate the notification process
- Collect hazard information from the current edition of the Department of Transportation (DOT) Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG)
- Determine scope of the problem
- Determine potential outcomes
- Plan a response
- Capabilities of operations level personnel
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)/Identifying/Donning/Doffing/Working in/Hazards
- Implement the response
- Establish Control Zones/Emergency Decontamination/Communications
- Implement protective actions
- Perform operations level tasks
- Evaluate Progress
- Communicate Status
- Personnel who could encounter an emergency involving HazMat/WMD and who are expected to recognize the presence of the HazMat/WMD, protect themselves, call for trained personnel, and secure the area
- Personnel who respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials/weapons of mass destruction for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, the environment, or property from the effects of the release
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
For responders in the state of Texas, this course is also available at no cost through the Texas Division of Emergency Management.
Phone: (979) 500-6842 | (866) 878-8900
Email: [email protected]
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-2130.
- Purchase Order Complete online registration and send a copy of PO documentation within 48 hours.