LET301 – 16.00 Hours
|LS LET301 182||$45.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
Suicide is the leading cause of inmate deaths in local jail facilities. Many of these suicides can be prevented if correctional officers have the proper understanding of suicidal behavior and inmates’ mental impairments. Jail suicides can be averted with implementation of a comprehensive prevention program that includes staff training, intake screening, communication between staff, appropriate and safe housing, frequent observation, prompt intervention, and social interactions. This course is one of the Intermediate Core Courses required by Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) rules to receive intermediate certification as a county corrections officer.
This course meets TCOLE requirements Suicide Detection and Prevention in Jails-Intermediate Course #3501.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 45 days from the registration date.
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course, you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 96 or higher, Google Chrome 97 or higher
- Alternative: Safari 15 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and or end of course exam.
- Admission of inmates
- Factors influencing suicidal behavior
- Handling a suicide/attempted suicide
- Interacting with suicidal inmates
- Interviewing and assessing inmates
- Mental retardation or mental illness
- Overview of jail suicide
- Suicide prevention plans
- Texas County and municipal jail staff responsible for inmate oversight and control within a jail facility
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 16.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or [email protected].
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-6677
- Purchase Order – Complete registration form and send to [email protected] or fax to (877) 289-9715
- Check – Complete registration form and mail to: TEEX – ILEPSE, P.O. Box 40006, College Station, TX 77842
TEEX Participant Handbook
Conduct During Live Online Instructor-Led Courses
Online courses: Refunds are not available for eLearning courses, nor may the course be transferred from one customer to another.