RFT001 – 545.00 Hours
|Details||09/01/23 – 11/17/23||College Station, TX||FP RFT001 63||$5400.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (866) 878-8900 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
TEEX Fire Training Academy prepares you for success as an entry-level firefighter. This is a 12-week program consisting of classroom and hands-on field application training. Our cadets must excel academically, demonstrate exceptional teamwork and leadership skills, and establish professional behavior.
This program meets or exceeds all requirements set by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX), Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP), and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications, as well as NFPA 472, Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents.
This program meets or exceeds all requirements set by the Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service (TEEX), Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP), and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications, as well as NFPA 472 / NFPA 1072, Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents.
In addition, you will receive the following certificates as part of completing this course:
- Courage to Be Safe: Everyone Goes Home
- National Traffic Safety Course
- NIMS 100 Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100
- NIMS 200 Basic Incident Command System for Initial Response
- NIMS 700 National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction
- NIMS 800 National Response Framework, An Introduction
This course provides a total of 545 hours of training and is held at TEEX Brayton Fire Training Field, College Station, TX.
Applicants for either TEEX Recruit Fire Academy must meet the following requirements:
- Be a high school graduate or have passed a GED test
- Be at least 18 years of age
International applicants must meet the following additional requirements:
- Pass an English proficiency exam (coordinated through the TEEX International Student Advisor)
To complete your application process to the Fire Training Academy, you must do the following
- Pay the $75.00 non-refundable and non-transferable application fee through the TEEX Website
- Submit a completed Recruit Fire Academy Participant Enrollment Agreement.
- Submit a color copy of a driver’s license or a form of government- or state-issued identification.
- Submit a copy of a high school diploma or GED completion: Applicants that are still in high school at the time of enrollment are required to provide a letter from the school stating eligibility for graduation and date. College transcripts are also accepted as proof of high school completion.
- Submit proof of meningitis vaccination: Participants under the age of twenty-two must meet the requirements of vaccination within the last five years and a minimum of ten days prior to the first day of the traditional academy or boot camp. Please refer to the TEEX website for more information about meningitis requirements and exemptions.
A representative from TEEX will review your application and contact you if you’ve been cleared to complete the registration process and pay the balance of your tuition.
Important: Upon approval of your application to enroll in the TEEX Recruit Fire Academy, you will be required to submit a medical evaluation prior to the first day of class. You will receive the medical evaluation form along with your reporting instructions.
Course Completion Requirements
Participants Must Provide
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
- Notebook paper (8½ × 11″)
- Pen, highlighters, #2 pencils
- Textbook and curriculum materials:
- International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA) Essentials of Fire Fighting, 7th edition, ISBN # 978-0-87939- 657-2
- IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting Course Workbook, 7th edition with new ISBN #978-0-87939-660-2
- TCFP Certification Curriculum Manual, Chapter One: Basic Fire Suppression (download a copy)
- Uniform essentials (purchased through Barker Productions).
- The complete listing of all uniform requirements can be found in the Recruit Fire Reporting Instructions.
- Bunker gear (see recourses section for more information about bunker gear rental): Coat, Pants, Boots, Hood, Helmet, Gloves
- 7-mm Prusik cord, 10 ft. in length (unless gear vendor provides)
- Black shoe polish
- Bag for change of clothes
- Athletic shoes and socks
- Backpack for books (black or navy)
- Reusable water bottle
The TEEX Traditional Recruit Academy Attendance Policy is found in the Basic Structure Fire Suppression Certification Rules, Policies, and Procedures in section V. Classroom Procedures and Expectations. Each participant will receive this electronically via email during the first week of class.
- The course is taught from the IFSTA Essential 7th edition of Fire Fighting & Fire Department Operations. There are 23 chapters that cover all phases of firefighting that a Recruit needs to become certified as a Basic Structural Fire Protection Personnel.
Individuals seeking employment as a firefighter in a municipal fire department
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- Pro Board
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
- VA Education Benefit eligible, contact VeteranServices@teex.tamu.edu or call (877) 833-9638
Emergency Services Training Institute
Phone: (979) 217-6578
Participant Enrollment Agreement (Must download and open in Adobe Reader to complete and sign agreement)
Recruit Fire Academy Policies and Procedures
Recruit Fire Academy Reporting Instructions
International Student Information
TEEX Participant Handbook
Conduct During Live Online Instructor-Led Courses
Participants that cancel prior to the start of the course will be charged a processing fee of $125; in addition, TEEX will retain the $75 application fee. If TEEX cancels the course, TEEX will refund the participant all money, including the $75 application fee. If an applicant is determined to be ineligible to participate in the program or a prospective international participant had his/her visa application denied, TEEX will refund all monies paid by the participant, less the application fee of $75.