Peace Officers play a vital role in ensuring the safety and security of the public. The Central Texas Police Academy (CTPA) delivers a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) approved Basic Peace Officer course leading to Texas Peace Officer licensing. Participants receive classroom training designed to prepare each student for the state licensing examination and engage in hands-on training to better acquaint them to the rigors of police work.
This course meets TCOLE requirements Basic Peace Officer Course #1000.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Participant must be at least 21 years of age before the class end date
- Must meet TCOLE minimum standards for licensing
- Must submit the following completed documents 30 days prior to class start date:
- Notebook paper (8 ½” x 11”) and notebook dividers (minimum 33)
- Blue or black ink pens, red ink pen, highlighters, #2 pencils
- Duty belt
- Handgun and secure holster- thumb-break style
- Minimum of two speed loaders or three magazines
- Handcuffs and key (Smith & Wesson, Peerless, Hiatts, etc.) and handcuff case
- Speed loader pouch or double magazine pouch
- Straight flashlight (Mag-lite, Surefire, Stream Light, etc.) and flashlight holder
- Belt keepers (minimum of four)
- Black shoes or boots that can be polished
- Athletic gear must be brought the first day of class and each day thereafter consisting of
- navy-colored shorts
- athletic shoes
- The required pants for the uniform are Dickies brand #874 khaki pants. They are available from Wal-Mart and other common vendors for less than $20/pair. It is recommended that the student purchase at least three pair.
- Small dictionary
- Law dictionary
- Gear bag
TopicsTexas Penal Code+Report writing+Arrest procedures+Criminal investigations+Self-defense techniques+Firearms training+Crime scene investigation+Traffic enforcement and investigations+Patrol tactics+Emergency vehicle operation+Physical fitness training+Firearms training+Standardized Field Sobriety Testing
- Anyone who is interested in becoming a Texas peace officer
Government Programs, Certifications and AccreditationsPost 9/11 GI Bill Benefits For information contact (877) 833-9638
Law Enforcement and Security Training
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Tollfree: (800) 423-8433